[geeks] Another new hardware aquisition :)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Apr 8 12:41:53 CDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:

>> Err, what was the story, and what is so great about them?  I'm looking at his
>> site, and it does look like it might be an interesting show, if I had cable.
>
> I thought everyone on the list knew.  Alton was selling his salt cellars
> just before Christmas, but sold out in a matter of days, and had to
> scramble to fill orders.  Some folks had to wait several weeks for their
> order to be filled.  Since then, the offical ABSCCU has been
> unobtanium...

Yeah.  The site went live, but apparently could only handle processing an order
every 8 seconds or something.  He's got a BIG fan base.  Server was up and
down.  Bad juju.

That wasn't really the bad part.  They promised the first 200 sold would be
autographed by AB, but they didn't clarify what that meant.  (ie if the first
person bought 7, would all 7 be autographed?  Was it the first 200 orders?)
As it was, they only put out 1 autographed salt cellar per order, which pissed
off some people who were hoping to give autographed ones as gifts.

My wife managed to get the person taking care of it, and got multiple promises
of "it shipped", "it'll ship soon", etc.  It finally arrived about a week and
a half after Xmas, when it was promised before Xmas.

I'm very happy with it, but how they did things was textbook "what not to do".

--Kurt