[geeks] MP3 vs uncompressed

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 8 12:16:35 CDT 2002

The point was made that uncompressed audio was a bad idea because then far
more disk space would be needed to store that 100gigs of MP3s.

Well, assuming the MP3s are encoded at the decent 256kb, then they require
a 32kB/s datastream.

Uncompressed audio on the other hand is a 150kB audio.  I just came across
something called FLAC (seen it before but hadn't been thinking of it at
time of discusion). http://flac.sourceforge.net/  FLAC compresses audio
in a completely lossless manor to about half the size.  So, now perfect
audio copies are only 75kB/s, which means your music collection would only
take 225gigs versus 450gigs.

Or, to put it another way, the 60 gig hard drive that could before hold
approximately 160 CDs can now how approximately 320 CDs.

And I still don't know how people manage to appriciate 100gigs of MP3s, unless
they are multiple versions of songs.  I knew one guy who had 100hours of GD
on DAT.  Repeated songs, but no repeated experiences.  I wish I could have
gotten copies.

--
Joshua D. Boyd