[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Apr 8 10:30:08 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:04:44AM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> hmmmmmmmm. i had our head developer come to me a couple days ago telling
> me that he couldnt get `sendmail` to work. yeah, he's making system
> calls (again, just like he did with rsh in perl) from our "good" java
> code that is definitely production (live as of next monday morning).

Could you explain exactly why calling sendmail from perl is so bad?  I have
no idea about how it might be done from Java, so can't comment on whether
that's a good thing or not.

Using an external sendmail means:

no need to write your own SMTP code;
no need to install an SMTP module (assuming sendmail is already there,
  which is usually the case);
takes advantage of all sendmail's mail queueing goodness

It is for these reasons, amongst others, that the maintainers of NMS
chose to rely on an external sendmail for their version of formmail.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

       Willing to accept a lower economic "standard of
       living" in return for higher quality of life