[geeks] Video Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:40:07 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:13:35AM -0500, Ethan wrote:
>> But anyway, I take it your first camera was a firewire one?  I don't own
>> any decent video equipment at the moment, but I'm attempting to put together
>> a Y/C system since firewire is too expensive.  Initially, I want a unix
>> workstation to talk to the video equipment, and a camera.  Hopefully shortly
>> followed by a nice pair of VCRs (Hi8, SVHS), and a nice video monitor (Sony
>> 13" displays seem semi affordable).
>
> Doude, skip the Y/C... you can get a used Sony TRV-120 firewire camera
> from Ebay for $300-400 if you snipe and work deals... Then you can pick up
> a firewire card for $20. You might have to run Windows and Premiere, but
> it isn't that bad.

It is since I don't have a decent windows machine.  I do have a decent (but
not OS X compatible) Mac though.

<snip>

> My comparison... analog editing normally has field/frame pairs... which is
> annoying. DV is progressive scan I guess, because I don't see that.
> Err, maybe that is only on the RT2000.

I don't know what you are doing, but the DV cameras I've worked with were
selectable.  If your output is NTSC, you get the best quality with the fields.
If you output is film, or you want the film look, progressive scan is better.

> I'd say go firewire... it is so cheap, and so good. What comes out is
> exactly what went in. And if you get an older sony firewire digital8
> camcorder, you can pass analog video into the camera and it will convert
> it to firewire. Sony wasn't selling highend on the new cameras so they
> robbed the low end of good features to sell higher end models.

3-ccd firewire cameras are still darn expensive, as are firewire<->y/c
bridges.  And it still requires purchasing a new computer, unless I add a
firewire card to my PM6500, but that leaves no room for an extra scsi
controller or USB controller.

> > I don't really have much money for anything, but I'm feeling more and more
> > desire for this stuff as I'm nearing the end of school, and I am finally
> > getting some related programming done, which means there is less chance the
> > gear would go unused.
>
> GO FIREWIRE!
>
>> I'm currently considering producing stock titling and graphics media for the
>> excuse of using it to build low level video building blocks.
>
> Premiere isn't too bad!

Not as good as after effects would be though.  Unfortunately, everytime I try
to get a copy on ebay, someone snipes me.  Premiere bites in my personal
opinion, but it can do the job.  And if I go the Mac route, I might even use
premiere.  But I'd rather find some other system, and/or right my own.

Sorry if there are incomprehesible parts in the message.  I'm trying to
register for fall classes, and the computer keeps booting me out of the
registration system.

--
Joshua D. Boyd