[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 8 09:04:44 CDT 2002

>     [snip]
>> That argument is as true for perl as for ANY other
>> language.
>     [snip]
>
> I'll second that! You should see some of the crap written in Java that
> makes its way into production. The philosophy of,"It works" (for a
> particular case) is just as rampant in other languages. I'm guilty of it
> too, on occasion.

yup. that is the mistake that PHB's here have made. watch the
progression:

we pay our developers a lot.
our programmers are good.
our code is bad.
our programmers tools and environment must be forcing them to be bad.
we hear java is good.
our programmers will write good java.
our code will be good.

hmmmmmmmm. i had our head developer come to me a couple days ago telling
me that he couldnt get `sendmail` to work. yeah, he's making system
calls (again, just like he did with rsh in perl) from our "good" java
code that is definitely production (live as of next monday morning).

*sigh*

alex