[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 7 22:57:33 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:32:26AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > That MipsPro thing is enough to make me wonder if I'd be smarter to go
> > to OS X, where the development tools are free, and based on the familiar
> > Gcc.  Or perhaps I missed something.
>
>   I agree...and I must admit that OS X has made me consider using my G4
> as my main desktop platform.  The main things that are stopping me,
> however, are NetInfo and that FUCKING GOD-AWFUL NeXTSTEP filesystem
> layout.  I mean, "/Library"??

I expect that filesystem rearranging wouldn't upset me too much.

>   Oh, and FDDI drivers.  I don't want to downgrade to 100Mbps
> ethernet to have a nicer desktop platform.

Is HiPPI supported?  IP over FCAL?

> > But then, G4s are rather expensive, so I'd have to go with a G3 upgraded
> > to a Geforce and an aftermarket SCSI and video IO card, and either way that
> > is serious money, more than a nice O2.  Definately means I need to keep
> > saving.
>
>   G4s are a LITTLE more expensive than PeeCees nowadays, not a LOT more
> expensive like they were a few years ago.  And they're SO MUCH FASTER
> and so much more stable, it's definitely worth it if you ask me.

Yes, but I'm not comparing G4s to PeeCees.  I'm comparing G4s to O2s.  Sure,
the G4 packs more CPU power than a r5k O2 does, but if you go G3 you don't
get AGP for 64bit PCI, which are needed to effectively compete video wise
with the O2.

I need to find the official $$$ numbers for getting Mipspro C and C++ to really
decide which is more affordable.  $500 o2 + $600 compiler is still cheaper
than $800 mac + $500 in upgrades (OS X would probably need to be purchase,
Y/C video IO would definately be needed, as would a good scsi controller,
and probably RAM as well).  But, if MipsPro is more than $600, then the
equation swings the other, but if I keep waiting, the Macs will continue to
fall in price, but MipsPro is unlikely to.  Etc.

--
Joshua D. Boyd