software design (was: Re: [geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 20:43:44 CDT 2002

On April 7, alex j avriette wrote:
> > Must be nice to be able to tell the boss, effectively, "no, I wont do
> > that".
> > When $boss says "I need it by five pm", I make damn sure I have
> > something
> > "on his desk" by five PM, or have a DAMN GOOD excuse for why its not
> > done.
>
> wouldnt work with a mechanic, carpenter, electrician, or anyone else.
> its foolish to expect the process of programming to conform to some
> arbitrary date. it is their job to manage, not to design. they dont have
> a clue what is involved on XYZ application.

  We're talking about the very same industry, though, that thinks
processor architecture is a "business decision", and ignoring the
advice of experienced professionals and paying more attention to
glossy magazine ads is commonplace.

  No PHB would ever DREAM of ignoring the professional advice of a
plumber...but give that very same PHB a piece of technical advice, and
he'll ignore it and most often do the opposite...even if he ASKED you
for the advice, and even if he hired you full-time purely to give said
advice!

  Fucking unbelievable.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar