software design (was: Re: [geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun Apr 7 20:42:00 CDT 2002

On Sunday, April 7, 2002, at 09:31 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 09:28:56PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:
>> you must be one of those "sysadmin" types and not a "programmer" type.
>
> Wow!  He finally figures it out!  Yes, I'm employed as a "System
> Administrator"
> not a "programmer".  I do programming when necessary.

apparently my dry sarcasm was lost on you. :-p

>> how long does it take to install a failover cluster on two e3500's and
>> connect them to a SAN, with not so much as an OS installed? does it
>> really matter if your boss thinks it *should* be done by the end of the
>> day?
>
> My boss knows better than to ask for stuff like that by the "end of the
> day".  He knows that quick-and-dirty scripts take much less time.

your boss should also know better than to ask for a software application
by the end of the day. when they dont know well enough, thats when you
say "no, aint gonna happen" and be firm about it. bosses need to be
kicked around some. hm. perhaps thats a little too harsh. sometimes you
just have to be firm. they will understand if youre consistent and
honest.

alex

--
alex j avriette, perl hacker