[geeks] perlish disgruntlement, java considered, sun hardware sought

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 20:25:43 CDT 2002

On April 7, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I hate java.  Period.  Stuff like LimeWire is nice, but I've seen
> REALLY HORRIBLE 'web server backends', etc, that just slow big
> multi-CPU SPARC boxes to a CRAWL...
>
> I dont intend on learning Java.

  Of course it's possible to abuse any language, and I think that's
what's going on here.  Sun made the horrible mistake of marketing Java
as being "for the web" when it is far better suited for non-web
applications.  I'm pretty new to Java (I wrote some data graphing
applets about five years ago, but promptly forgot what little I
learned) ...but recently I've gotten into it bigtime, and having lived
and breathed it for the past two months, I can honestly say that it's
a kickass language...very powerful and elegant...but many (most?)
people abuse it badly, and look at the reputation it's gotten as a
result.

  In short...I believe very strongly that Java is a fabulous language,
as long as you NEVER get it anywhere near the world wide web...the
instant you do, it becomes a steaming, festering pile of wombat shit.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar