[geeks] Recommendations?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 7 14:23:33 CDT 2002

On Sun, 7 Apr 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On April 7, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Try using rxvt.  It works beautifully under IRIX, whereas winterm blows
> > goats.
>
>   GOATS?!

In winter, on the front steps of Our Lady of the Lactating Circus Clown
Cathedral, just before Christmas Mass.  It's that bad.  The xterm
emulation -sucks-. it eats memory by the dozen-megabyte, it redraws about
at a rate of about thirty[1] frames per annum, and it eats -ways- more
palette space than is ultimately necessary.

In other words, it's about as nice as Windows Telnet using a TrueType
font.

rxvt is -so- much nicer.  And the mouse-reporting is shweeet, should I
feel the need to harken back to my Windows days and clickety-click through
PINE.

--Jonathan
[1] This can be lessened to twelve if you're using 24-bit visuals by
    default.