[geeks] Recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 01:32:26 CST 2002

On April 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> That MipsPro thing is enough to make me wonder if I'd be smarter to go
> to OS X, where the development tools are free, and based on the familiar
> Gcc.  Or perhaps I missed something.

  I agree...and I must admit that OS X has made me consider using my G4
as my main desktop platform.  The main things that are stopping me,
however, are NetInfo and that FUCKING GOD-AWFUL NeXTSTEP filesystem
layout.  I mean, "/Library"??

  Oh, and FDDI drivers.  I don't want to downgrade to 100Mbps
ethernet to have a nicer desktop platform.

  Come ON, Apple.  It's time to ditch the worst parts of NeXTSTEP.  If
you want OS X to be accepted by the UNIX community, you need to make
it a little LESS like the most bastardized UNIX-like OS the industry
has ever seen.

> But then, G4s are rather expensive, so I'd have to go with a G3 upgraded
> to a Geforce and an aftermarket SCSI and video IO card, and either way that
> is serious money, more than a nice O2.  Definately means I need to keep
> saving.

  G4s are a LITTLE more expensive than PeeCees nowadays, not a LOT more
expensive like they were a few years ago.  And they're SO MUCH FASTER
and so much more stable, it's definitely worth it if you ask me.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar