[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 7 01:18:27 CST 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:11:02AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 7, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> > > Err, what do you have to do to get an Oxygen doing OpenGL under FreeBSD?
> >
> > Install XFree86.  Install the Xserver.  Install the OpenGL support
> > package.
>
>   Crash.  Lose work.  Get pissed off.  Throw PeeCee into dumpster.  Buy
> an SGI.  Compute happily forever after with unobtrusive tools that
> Just Work.  (Except MipsPro C, that is...)

That MipsPro thing is enough to make me wonder if I'd be smarter to go
to OS X, where the development tools are free, and based on the familiar
Gcc.  Or perhaps I missed something.

But then, G4s are rather expensive, so I'd have to go with a G3 upgraded
to a Geforce and an aftermarket SCSI and video IO card, and either way that
is serious money, more than a nice O2.  Definately means I need to keep
saving.

--
Joshua D. Boyd