[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 7 01:02:04 CST 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 01:29:50AM -0500, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:

> > 3DLabs cards are going to be problematic for FreeBSD I would imagine.  At
> > least, they are under linux for the most part.
>
> 3DLabs cards are fine if you use the commercial Xserver you get for the
> asking.

Ooh.  When did that start being available?  And who do you ask?  Does this
server support all the usual extensions like Xvideo, dps, xinput, etc?

I'm looking at 3dlabs.com now.  I see them pointing to Metrolink, Xi, Xfree
(which I know has really awefull support), and Suse.  I'm guessing the driver
you are refering to are the Suse ones.

Xi support isn't too bad from what I hear, but for the Oxygen cards you have
to pay from $130 to $250 on top of the price of the card.

Hmm.  I was starting to think that Metrolink wasn't too unreasonabe at $39,
but then I noticed that their 3D Labs support is limited to Permedia2s
and GLINT related cards.  No oxygen or wildcat support.

I gave up trying to find the list of Suse supported cards.

--
Joshua D. Boyd