[geeks] Now that's satisfaction!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 00:56:47 CST 2002

On April 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >   No way...it's written in Java.
>
> People keep saying it's written in Java as if that means something.  Let me
> tell you, it is extremely easy to write windows only Java, and lot of people
> do it.  I've seen more than one software package that does it.  I have one
> package called HyperWire (from Kinetix, probably discontinued years ago) that
> did just that.

  Look at it this way.  One of Java's core philosophies is "100%
portable binaries."  With that in mind, I suggest that a
Windows-specific Java program is a buggy Java program...even if that
"bug" was intentional.

  So, in short, it DOES mean something.  It's written in Java...if it
doesn't run on ANY machine that purports to support the Java Platform,
then it's buggy and should either be fixed or avoided.

  There are plenty of asshole software developers out there who take the
kickbacks from Microsoft to develop software for Windows.  (They call
it something different, but a bribe by any other name...) If you make
it a point to ignore them and not use their stuff, they'll eventually
go away.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar