[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 7 00:20:50 CST 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:55:10AM -0500, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> > I was looking for recommendations of a good card for all around
> > performance.  Most important to least important:
> >
> > 1. Works with as many OS's as possible (specifically FreeBSD and Win2K)
> > 2. Is great for games (this is the real reason I'm buying the card...
> > I've got a lot of lag and poor performance in some of the newer games
> > when I pump the detail up.  I'd like to max out detail and have only the
> > CPU be the bottleneck)
> >
> > I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I like to pay for quality #1, and #2 this
> > is mainly for the girlfriend.
> > (Diablo II, Baldur's Gate 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, NOLF, etc.)
> > Good for both DirectEcch and GL.
> >
> > ATI has a Radeon 7000 or something like that (PCI) (I only have PCI)
> > or the 64MB DDR Hercules card.

> ATI's cards are always good, as are 3DLabs or Matrox.

3DLabs cards are going to be problematic for FreeBSD I would imagine.  At
least, they are under linux for the most part.

Matrox cards are decent, but I'd recommend finding a PCI Geforce2 MX. They
exist.  They should provide good performance for games, and usually have
decent video quality (when bought from quality manufactors.).  Plus, under
windows, the Geforce drivers are often supported for doing real work more
quickly than the Matrox or ATI drivers are (For instance, Softimage3d was
only certified for the TNTs on for what would be considered consumer cards,
the last I looked.  Don't know what XSI is certified for).  And, Geforce2mx
cards won't break the bank.

--
Joshua D. Boyd