[geeks] I now know what "blogging" is.

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Apr 6 20:22:36 CST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 08:08:26PM -0600, Geek wrote:
> I did too for about a week. Blog is an abbreviation of Weblog.
> Abbreviations are a fact of life. You all use them. IIRC, RTFM, and
> YMMV are three of the most common. What exactly makes Blog different?

Two letters?  Someone trying to be "Cutesy"?

BTW, "IIRC", "RTFM", "BTW", and "YMMV",e tc, are *ACRONYMS*:

(from m-w.com)

Main Entry: ac.ro.nym
Pronunciation: 'a-kr&-"nim
Function: noun
Etymology: acr- + -onym
Date: 1943
: a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or
  letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term

*NOT* "Abbreviations":

Main Entry: ab.bre.vi.a.tion
Pronunciation: &-"brE-vE-'A-sh&n
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 : the act or result of abbreviating : ABRIDGMENT
2 : a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the
    whole <amt is an abbreviation for amount>

> Would you like me to change my sig to that? I know(or assume) you
> have nothing against me personally, and I agree fully the Blog is
> odd, but jeez.

I could care less what your .sig says - the use of the term bothers
me, not *your* specific using of the term.  However, you need to learn
the difference between an acronym and an abbreviation.

> Might I ask what your LJ address is? I would be interested in reading
> it.

Sorry, my journal is private/friends-only for the most part; I dont make
it public due to certain issues I have with being harassed by a certain
individual on a continual basis for over two years.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net