[geeks] NetBSD Netboot install

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Apr 6 11:11:32 CST 2002

On  5 Apr, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I've tried to follow the instructions on
> www.NetBSD.org for setting things up to do a netboot/NFS install of
> NetBSD 1.5.2 on to my SS2.  Somehow, I got tracked off somewhere that I
> shouldn't have, and now I have the system netbooting quite nicely (I can
> even log in), but I can't figure out how to start the installer.
This is a description for settnig up a netbooted, diskless machine, not
for netbooting some "installer" stuff. So you are on the wrong road from
the begining. ;-)

Why do you want an "installer" if you are so far, that you have a
complete system running diskless? Installing the system on a disk from
a diskless boot is easy and straightforward:

disklabel sd0 > /tmp/dl		# read in core default label
disklabel -r -R sd0 /tmp/dl	# write it to the disk
disklabel -i sd0		# and edit it. -i needs a valid
				# disklabel on the disk...
newfs /dev/rsd0a
newfs ....
mount -o async /dev/sd0a /mnt	# async speeds things up during...
mount ...
tar xzpf /where/ever/your/dist/sets/are.tgz -C /mnt
tar ...
cd /mnt/dev && ./MAKEDEV all
cd /mnt/usr/mdec
../installboot ....		# works only in singe user mode
cd /mnt/etc
vi rc.conf			# look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf
vi fstab
echo sunshine > myname
echo inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 > ifconfig.le0
echo 192.168.1.254 > mygate	# or what ever you want / need
vi ...
reboot				# from disk.

Thats all. No fscking "installer" needed.

p.s.
for a in /your/dist/sets/*.tgz ; do tar xzpf $a -C /mnt ; done
does the unTARing all in one line.
--

tschuess,
          Jochen