[geeks] argh

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Apr 6 01:36:31 CST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 02:25:10AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 6, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Actually, I found my SCSI wierdness trying to add a different hard drive to
> > use as a swap/tmp drive because of the chanel idiocy.  Yuck.  Pc stuff sucks.
>
>   So don't use it. ;)

I'm working on that.  Next project to start is to build a new file server to
replace the P75 mostly (mostly because I can't afford enough disk space to
move the downloads, mp3s, video files, etc that aren't really important).

And, I'm putting away between $100 and $200 a month in an attempt to
eventually replace the other PC linux machine (well, and/or potentially buy a
ring).

Exactly what to get as a replacement isn't as clean cut as I'd hoped.  If I
get an O2, I'd need to keep the PC for CPU power.  But, I could at least
simplfy it (like make it all scsi with 2HDs and a CD-ROM on a different
chanel).  If I want to be rid of the machine altogether, the replacement would
probably need to be more along the lines of an Octane, but I can't afford to
satisfactorily outfit an Octane.

By the way.  What sort of Sun would be needed to be able to run in software
RAID5 and still accept a saturated FDDI link for writing to disk?  SM41?
SM71?  Ultra1?  Also, would a classic be able to keep up writing from a
saturated 10mbit connection (ie, there is what do I need realistically, and
what can I get by with right this instant).

--
Joshua D. Boyd