[geeks] Scsi connector

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Apr 6 00:50:57 CST 2002

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 01:03:43AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I have a scsi card that claims to be (based on linux boot logs) a Qlogic
> ISP1020.  Actually, I have 2.  One of them takes a scsi2 narrow connector,
> just like the ones on a Sun 411 case.
>
> The other one, I just noticed today has a different connector.  It seems
> to have the same number of pins, and be about the same size, but it wants
> screws instead of clips, and I can't make the normal Sun411 style connector
> fit onto it because of the screw recepticles.
>
> Could this be a narrow differential connector?  The only reason I think of
> that is because on qlogic's web site, one of the two cards listed for that
> chip is the Fast!SCSI IQ PCI-D, and the comment says differential ultra.

OK, I pulled the machine out.  The connector is the same except for the
screws.  The chip on the card says ISP1040 despite what linux recognises it
as. Further, on the card, it says assy pc2010404-21-01 rev  But, it also says
in a different spot

So, the assembly number indicates a non-differential scsi2 narrow controller,
but the chip indicates something else, one of their newer Ultra lines.

But wait, this label is peeling a bit.  And there is something on the chip
underneith.  Let's try removing the label...

Well, well, well.  Under the peeling label, the chip is marked a 1020.  So,
it appears to just be a narrow controller with a funky connector.  Any one
know where I can get cables for this?  Or perhaps I should just order a new
scsi card.  Any recommendations for cards under linux?  Needs to be a narrow
controller for compatibility reasons.

--
Joshua D. Boyd