[geeks] Tax Weirdness

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 5 16:43:39 CST 2002

> for years i have had to deal with people thinking they know it all about
> the irs. how they're evil, out to get you, money-grubbing bastards, etc.
> etc. my stock answer to any of this when i was working for revenue was to
> say if you don't like the irs or the way it handles things, quit being a
> complete bitching asshole or move to monaco. :)

I just assumed that they're as honest and as much fun to work with as any
other government organization.  I have bad memories of government
contracting (NCSE), and everytime I've dealt with OSHA, the VA, the DOEd
or -any- Texas gov't organization or -any- county[1] organization, I've
been left with the feeling that I'd just wasted five hours of my life
dealing with moronic maggots who see me as their one shot at a sadistic
ego-trip.

Then, maybe that's just my comically bad luck getting me the worst
possible representation of the organization.

This really is my first positive federal government interaction.  I'm
still in awe that there's someone working for the government that
-doesn't- make me want to feel like a twit whose ass they own.

--Jonathan
[1] I'm -really- pissed off at them.  This is the -third- -damned- -time-
    that they've "lost" my voter's registration.  How can you -lose-
    something -once-, let alone -three- -times- when you go to the
    courthouse and file it in person?  Grr.