[geeks] New hardware aquisition...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Apr 5 00:18:28 CST 2002

Is nothing like you were expecting :)

On the way home tonight I picked up a Gamo Hunter 220 pelet rifle in
.177 caliber.  I wanted a .22 caliber, but this thing launches .177
pellets at 1000ft/s!!  It also can aparently be made .22 by replacing
the barrel.  It also came with a 4x32 BSA scope with windage and
elevation adjustments.  At less than $200 I considered it a good
price...

At any rate, I had some fun sighting it in with a 25ft target at 25yds.
Took some doing, the BSA scope came from the factory *way* out of
adjustment.  But with once I had it sighted, I was able to drop pellets
right on top of each other from 25yds - 1/4" groups from the bench-rest
and 1/2" from a prone position.  Not bad for being out of practice with
a rifle :)

Some initial observations:
it penetrates 5-gallon metal buckets with a crust of lexanite
it penetrates 1/2" sheetrock, the 1/4" plywood behind that, and buries
the pellet in the side of the house the previous two items were leaning
against
it does not penetrate old, uninflated snow tires

I'm really having too much fun with this new toy...

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com