[geeks] FS: SGI Indigo2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 4 19:56:28 CST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 08:49:52PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On April 4, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > > Indigo2, 192meg, R4400SC @ 150 (I think), Extreme graphics; teal
> > > case with teal "tower stands".  $100?  Email if interested.  It
> > > has a drive sled but no HD installed; I might be able to come up
> > > with a 4G one.
> >
> > What breed of SCSI drive does this beast take?  (And is Extreme graphics
> > "good"?)
>
>   It takes ordinary 50-pin SCSI.  Extreme is good...it's the top of the
> lower of the two lines of I^2 video systems; it's the best you can get
> without going to Impact.  8 GEs, ~960MFLOPS if memory serves.  A very
> solid performer.  No hardware texturing, however, which means Josh
> will whine.  Just don't let him use it. ;)

I'm not quite as stuck on textures at the moment.  Aside from geometry
remapping (still want to try that morphing idea), they turned not to be as
convienient to use a glDrawPixels, which doesn't require texturing.  OpenGL
imaging, on the other hand, looks extremely usefull, and it is unsupported in
the nvidea drivers.  I don't know if it is implement in hardware on the
extreme, but it still exists there.

Plus, there is the dm libraries, and all sorts of nice image loading
libraries.  Can you tell that I'm feeling worn down by the lack of good media
libraries in linux?

--
Joshua D. Boyd