[geeks] Another $previousOrkPlace Story

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 3 23:22:57 CST 2002

> > Anyway, I'd forgotten about it.  Until today, that is.
>
> 15-port.  I've got another here if you want to come get it out of my way. 8-)

I actually might do that in a while, if you can get to the config password
on it.  I'll be purchasing a large batch of sun4c-class machines to test
my distributed transaction algorithms.  One of those switches would be
more than adequate for "real-world" load testing.

Of course, I need to pay bills and write code first, but I'll keep it in
mind when I get the cash and need for a cluster of old SPARCs.

> > On a hunch, I asked the consultant if it was about 4U, white, and said
> > "Kalpana" on the front.
>
> I bet he never broke through the config password either, unless you got
> around to doing it..

I'm sure he didn't.  I'm actually fairly positive that what he thought
was:
  "You know, Jonathan spends just about all of his expendable income on
   really cool high-powered toys, and he gets incredible deals on some
   of that stuff.  He'll -really- miss a switch, since he probably got
   it for cheap and won't be able to find it at that price again."

I could've been a token-ring concentrator, and he'd probably still have
tried to sell it, as he probably never even looked up any info on it.

--Jonathan