[geeks] are *BSD (and Linux) people "unhelpful"?

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Wed Apr 3 13:45:26 CST 2002

> --
> Eric Dittman
> dittman at dittman.net
> Check out the DEC Enthusiasts Club at http://www.dittman.net/

Ooo! A DEC fan! Someone I can ask for help (or at least for pointers to
better resources!).

I have an Alphaserver 1000 that's kaput. It was working fine up until I
tried to install the DEC Ethernet card (can't recall what type). I got
all sorts of wacky PCI errors (even though the card was ISA), so I run
the EISA Configuration Utility. The system froze, and now nothing! I
turn it on, and nothing happens on the operator panel or anything. It
just sits there.

I tried jumpering the reset jumper, but to no avail. It has been
suggested that the NVRAM is dead, but, unlike my SS1+, I have no idea
what part to order (or even that this is the problem). Is this now a
boat anchor, or can I get it back to life?

Sadly, everything was fine during my drunken OpenVMS installation
attempt, but when I figured that I'd be better off having the NIC (which
I tried the next day) in I hosed everything.

"Rub the bee. Rub the bee.
Keep rubbing the bee or damn
  your eyes, your life is ashes.
YOUR LIFE IS ASHES."