[geeks] are *BSD (and Linux) people "unhelpful"?

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Apr 3 10:16:20 CST 2002

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Ethan wrote:

> > windows, for all of its annoyances, is an easy o/s to learn and to fix.
> > you dont need to ask for help when it breaks.
>
> Windows is not that easy of an OS to fix. Pre-XP DLL conflicts could
> easily leave people scratching their heads, and since it is hard to really
> learn what goes on underneath the GUI, there aren't that many people that
> can fix a ton of problems. Add it to the horrible architecture and open
> standards of the PC, Windows is pretty tough.

you're missing the point. joe user doesnt know what a .dll file is nor
does he care about fixing the exact dll problem. he'd rather
reinstall/reboot until it goes away (thus rendering it 'fixed' for all
practical purposes).

thus, it is a very easy o/s to 'fix', for a stupid, everyday user. NOT A
GEEK.

> (Of course, I preach FreeBSD over Linux for servers and IRIX over Solaris
> for workstations... so maybe I'm a bit hypocritical).

irix over solaris? wow. talk about your insecure recommendatons ;)

i can see the fbsd over linux part but a lot of employers refuse to work
with an unsupported o/s on unguaranteed equipment.

--a