[geeks] Common IP lease?

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Apr 3 08:30:08 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Geek wrote:

> I have always wondered something that a visitor to my site told me
> once. She said she does not use BSD or Linux because of the complete
> lack of decent help. I mean your comments would lead any normal
> person to say 'fuck it, it's not worth it'. Why is it that the BSD
> and Linux communities are so anti user?

this is an observation. from what i've seen and experienced, mind. outside
of a very few people (i can name them, they're that few) the various bsd
and linux communities have fallen to the whole open-souce home-depot
do-it-yourself egotistical plague. if you dont have x amount of knowledge
or clout, they don't and will not help.

my guess is that it's because most of these folks use those os's as a user
o/s, not a server one (i.e. in an employed situation). they dont ever
bother working with others. hell, many of them don't work yet. likely, the
worst ones wont be able to get jobs given that sort of attitude.

as far as they're concerned, they didn't get any help in the beginning so
why should anyone lower on the clue-tree who comes looking for answers
expect more?

> Linux and BSD will need to be more friendly and less aggressive when
> people need help if they are ever to be decent desktop operating
> systems. Just a few thoughts I had when I read that.

by decent i assume you mean widespread, and you're correct. until they
both lose the superior bullshit and start mingling with the lower classes,
they're going nowhere and only coding for their own small coterie's
benefit.

--a