[geeks] Was: [rescue] damn you bill, now i'm a lowbrowfantoo

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Wed Apr 3 07:58:26 CST 2002

I believe all this sideways holding started from a gun writer that advocated
holding the gun at a 45 degree angle rather than straight up & down. The thought
was that if you extend your arm (while not holding a gun) you hand would be at
approximately a 45 degree angle naturally, and that twisting your arm to hold a gun
upright is an unnatural stress. I don't like shooting  at a 45 degree angle, I like
the old fashioned way of holding it upright, and certainly not sideways, or more,
as I've seen in some movies.

-Mike

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > > Tried that one handed sideways nonsense?
> >
> > > I never had the guts, and I think the range man at reds would have
> > > shot me for being stupid...
> >
> > A friend claims it is useful to do that to use the recoil to propel you arm
> > across a line of targets.  Frankly I'm dubious.  But, what do I know?  I'm not
> > a gun person.
> >

> That's a crock of shit.  You have sooo much *less* control like that, it
> ain't even funny.
>
> Wait.  Crap.  Okay.
>
> Instead of sounding like an arrogant bastard, let me say that *I*
> couldn't hit hit the broad side of a barn shooting like that.  I
> consider myself quite an accomplished shooter too...
>
> Shooting one-handed always gives you less control than shooting with two
> hands.  Though there are some *very* accomplished exhibition shooters
> that can do *amazing* things one-handed.
>
> Kurt

-Mike