[geeks] a warning to the self assured

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Apr 3 00:14:47 CST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:13:43AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> There's really no difference, except that you don't have to deal with payroll,
> AR, and AP.  But, if you want a checkbook-keeper instead of accounting software,
> this won't be what you want.

no, i already have a checkbook keeper.  works fine.  but i'd like to get a
little more involved than just keeping track of how much money i have.

> The goal is accounting as a service.  Sort of like how you have a web server
> and a mail server, you'll have a money server (or server hive).  I'll probably
> do the initial frontend in Java just because the company that's paying[1] me
> to do this needs Windows and Mac and Unix frontends.

actually, that sounds kinda swank.  i like it.

> I'll probably also do a web-enabled frontend but I'm categorically opposed to
> web-based applications that really don't need to be web-enabled.  I might just
> leave that as an exercise for the reader.

i won't give you any advice here since i think the web is just about the wrong
tool for most uses of it.

> A Handspring frontend wouldn't be difficult, but you'd have to be connected
> to the 'Net, and I'd have to (or someone else would have to) port OpenSSL or
> an equivalent library to PalmOS.

hmmm.  how about an "offline" mode so that it could update the online database
during a sync?  donno, just tossing ideas around.

> Now, realize I'm talking about at -least- a year down the road here.
> Probably longer, as I plan on resuming college in August.

i have something that meets my immediate needs, i'm not in any hurry to get
to the next step (since that involved more work for me)

> [1] For tiny values of "paying".  It boils down to them prepaying for a
>     license to help fund the development.

that's more than you can ask for in most cases. ;)

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)