[geeks] Common IP lease?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Tue Apr 2 19:51:17 CST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > why do you need a CD?  download the install floppies and install using FTP
> > directly from netbsd.org.  you've got cable, it would be fast.
>
> possibly even faster than a 1x CD!  :-)

Yeah, true.  I think.  Let's see, if 10 megabits would give you approx. 1
megabyte/sec (give or take), then that's (roughly) 102.4 Kbytes/sec per
megabit.  So, if a 1x CD has a 150Kbyes/sec transfer rate, then 1.5
megabits would do it, no?

Well within the reach of a cable modem, I would think.

9Hell, if I can work from home and mount NFS over a VPN, (I get about
56Kbyes/sec or so), then installing from the net should be comfortable.

-Pete