[geeks] a warning to the self assured

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Apr 2 19:46:26 CST 2002

> ive met many geeks (interestingly, mostly all unix geeks) who practice
> this banking-by-iq methodology. perhaps this stems from the "that could
> never happen, i know every byte of every file on this machine" ideology.
> at any rate, consider this fair warning that the idiots out there will
> take advantage of your trust in them (and your trust in yourself).

I used to like doing this - easy and not time consuming at all.
However, it got me into the same pickle that you're now in.  I struggled
with balancing the checkbook, keeping statements, keeping all the
checks, using the money management crap in MS Works (was running Win 3.1
at the time), and trying to stay sane.

Then along came Karin.  I give her my paycheck, and I forget about it.
I get an allowance every week that I can spend without any questions,
and anything over that budget must pass approval.  I let her deal with
all the bills, expenses, and tribulations associated with those.  I have
*zero* interest in financial matters - which is why my credit is just
starting to be rebuilt (again, thanks to Karin).

Kurt