[geeks] solaris 8 user problem

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Apr 2 00:18:44 CST 2002

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:03:34AM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 01:11:44AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, that automount thing.  That is what I expected to be providing /home.
> > So why isn't it?
>
> automount doesn't know where to mount stuff from unless you tell it.  by
> default is asks NIS, but since i'm sure you don't run NIS it doesn't know
> what to do.  honestly?  shut it off or just use /export/home like everyone
> else does.  it serves you absolutely no purpose since you don't need the
> capabilities.

Fine.  I'll put the home directories in /export/home/.  I probably should
turn automount off also to reduce security risk.

I've been meaning to tackle NIS (because I'm currently managing users for 8
machines by hand and it is a pain every time I forget to reset the uids
properly), but it would be inappropriate to do so on this particular machine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd