[geeks] Common IP lease?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Apr 1 21:40:30 CST 2002

[ On Monday, April 1, 2002 at 16:24:15 (-0600), Geek wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Common IP lease?
>
> Moving to a 'real OS' is not currently a practical option. I get the
> impression that the DHCP Server Unreachable is not Windows fault, but
> actually Shaw's fault.

What I've been trying to tell you is that this may depend entirely on
what type of cable modem you have.

> The IP has not changed in the over a year
> since I signed up. I have had the same modem, a Surfboard, since that
> time.

A "SURFboard" is a line of cable modems made by Motorola (er, General
Instruments).  The the really old ones used a proprietary protocol over
the RF data link layer, and an integral dial-up modem for the return
path.  I doubt you have one of those.  The newer ones (eg. SB2100 and
SB3100 and so on) are DOCSIS compliant.

DOCSIS compliant cable modems are sort of like Ethernet bridges, much
like the older LanCity proprietary modems on which they're essentialy
based (though DOCSIS v1.2 is another leap forward).  The modem itself
DHCPs its own address, usually from a private RFC-1918 netblock if the
ISP knows what they're doing, tftp's a configuration file, brings itself
online, and then the Customer Premises Equipment can DHCP its own
address(es).

Even if Shaw is using an M$-NT based system for their CPE DHCP DOCSIS
server, it's highly unlikely they're to blame for your system's
inability to renew a lease....

--
								Greg A. Woods