[geeks] McCain's calling for war...

Big Endian geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 16:16:58 CDT 2001

>On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 08:49:06PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:
>>  On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>>  > There's a ton of opinion out there about this.  Most of it boils down to
>>  > "someone's gotta pay the ultimate price".
>>
>>  Wrap your minds around this: The 41st president was considered weak until
>>  we almost turned Baghdad into a parking lot. Now the 43rd is in the same
>>  position. Eerie, no?
>
>I think that starting a war then failing to turn baghdad into a parking
>lot might have been a mistake.  Or in other words, don't get involved
>unless you are going to finish it properly.

Hasn't there been enough bloodshed already?  Tens of THOUSANDS of
people have just died today.  If we go out and start blasting anybody
we will generate MORE ill will and we gear up for MORE terrorist
attacks.  I've studied military history and theory a bit and I think
this will become the next vietnam.  There is NO target, it could be
anyone.  They have the freedom to strike without warning and with
weapons that are nearly impossible to defend against.  In our own war
for independence our forces used tactics that the British had no way
to defend against.  The civilian population of a country is not a
valid target in a war, we are, quite rightly so, unwilling to engage
in the same terrorist acts that others have done to us.  This is a
group of criminals, not a military threat.  The scale of their crimes
deserve death 10 thousand times over but I do NOT believe a military
strike will solve anything.

daniel