[geeks] Vegetarianism... was Re: [rescue] Friggin huge list m embers!)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Oct 17 05:05:01 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:25:02PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2001 18:57, you wrote:
> > There are pretty strict rules about what you can label as 'organic'
> Are there? I thought all the rules were pretty much all voluntary
> except that you can't stick certain logo's on your packaging if you
> break them.

People have been prosecuted for saying their product was organic when it
wasn't.

> I've always thought the 'organic' label was pretty dumb. As far as I
> can see it doesn't matter how a carrot is grown, it's still pretty
> organic --- or have I been letting the organic chemists buy me too many
> drinks ?

Heh.  If it's 'organic' then it hasn't had artificial pesticides etc used
on it, for example, and so there won't be any of the residues which plague
most veg.

      We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity
      has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
                                                -- Richard Dawkins