[geeks] Windows XP scares me.

Mike Hebel geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Oct 5 11:23:38 CDT 2001

>> The Remote Desktop Protocol can't possibly be secure enough to trust
KH> (coming
>> from MS). I also see a whole new classification of stupid user tricks.

KH> WTF is "Remote Desktop Protocol"?  Is that like X, for Windows?

I haven't checked but it's probably the integration of their SMS
product into the desktop/server platform.  Either way I haven't seen a
mention of it without loud noises about cr*ppy security.  Probably
well-deserved loud noises too.

KH> I am thoroughly disgusted with Office XP (came with my new computer, so sue
KH> me).  I can just imagine that Windows XP is similarly puke-y...

I _have_ Office XP but I'm only using it to make my Office '97 on my
wife's PC legal - someone else bought it for me on top of that.  XP -
I don't rent software. 'Nuff said.

KH> It is currently running SuSe Pro 7.2.  Star Office does a wonderful job of
KH> fooling people into believing that I 'm using MS Office.  Sorry, but KOffice
KH> isn't quite there.  Kivio shows amazing promise - so much so that I bought a
KH> stencil sets and signed up for the Stencil Author program.  I'd like nothing
KH> more than to never touch Viso again.

I personally use Star Office 5.2 on my personal win-doze machine and
it does quite well for me in all areas except printing but I think
that's the DeskJet 1600c drivers.

I stopped using Visio when it went from a $50-ish dollar product to a
$200-ish dollar product.  I refuse to pay that much for a product that
does diagramming no matter how customizable or supported it is.

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc