[geeks] Linux counter stuff

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 08:30:27 CST 2001

I had to renew my Linux counter entry (sorry, but in early '95 it seemed
like a cool thing to do). I took a quick cruise around their stats page and
found something interesting. Their "where Linux users live" stat divides
total population by number of registered users. The Faroe Islands (where is
that) rank #1. Does this mean they are the computing equivalent of a
super-power nation? Iceland, Norway and Finland ranked 2,3 & 4. The US comes
after Greenland, who has a whopping 6 registered users. Apparently a large
portion of our population is MS-centric or compu-illiterate.

Also, the reported CPU's were 53% non-Intel.

Oddly, New Hampshire ranks #2 in percentage of population using Linux in the
US (I knew there was a reason I moved here!). Somehow Alaska is #1 (those
cold spots on the earth seem to like Linux the most). Alabama, W-Virginia
and Louisiana ranked dead last (as did most of the deep south).

btw, I'm user #80588. Does that still have geek points?