[geeks] WTB: FH 5.25" SCSI-1 enclosure

Kris Kirby geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 26 00:16:54 CST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> The 2940 I have here isn't U or W.  That is probably why I'm always surprised
> by how slow the machine it is in is (originally it was in a L2-less P90, then
> a P166, now a P200mmx, in other words, it is in my sisters machine).  I don't
> know what the deal is, but when my sister gets a new machine, she is actually
> getting a new machine instead of a radical upgrade.  And I think it is probably
> going to be an all IDE machine.  I've used some screaming all SCSI Wintel
> machines, but the ones I've put together have never fit this description.  She
> doesn't push the machine hard anyway.

I have a 2940UW in a P166 / 128MB. It has three 7200 RPM drives: Two
Seagate Barracudas and a IBM DDRS (UW). I have the two busses running
seperate, which means no external on the 2940UW. But I also have a SIIG
Bus-mastering AHA-1640(?) alike for the external stuff. The DDRS does
about 12MB/s; the 4GB Barracuda is 9MB/s and the 9GB Barracuda does 14
MB/s. It's fairly swift for a machine without much of a processor.

My K7-850 / 384 / 4GB + 4GB / 9GB just flies. The only IDE device is the
40x CDROM. :)

-----
<kris at nospam.catonic.net>   | IM: KrisBSD