[geeks] ipfilter question - was:DHCP silliness

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 18:02:12 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:51:49PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2001 20:10, you wrote:
> > You're quite right to think that the firewall understanding
> > application- layer protocols is a Bad Thing.
>
> Personally I'm quite happy about it. How else am I going to block
> ActiveX content?

It's at the application layer, so get the application to block it - or
better, get the application to ignore it.

>                  It certainly shouldn't poke around at the application
> layer without asking though.

I *think* that that was what I was trying to say :-)

 Pressure was growing last night for the global "war on terror" to be
 broadened to take in a wide range of other 'rogue emotions' including
 horror, shock and a general feeling of bewilderment about the state of
 the world.    -- The Brains Trust