[geeks] WTB: FH 5.25" SCSI-1 enclosure

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 25 00:49:52 CST 2001

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > My philosophy on it is: If you are good, you can get away with it.  Just
> > make sure you are good enough to deal with the results if you f**k it up.
>
> Err, what makes you good at this?  In my case, the only truly, really,
> important machine to not mess up, also happens to be the one with no SCSI
> (I put it a better IDE card instead so that I could use affordable HDs).

Pull the cable off cleanly, take your time, make sure device is inactive.
I wish scsi connectors had been designed with longer ground, like a true
hotswap.

You would be surprised how much damage is done to high-end computer
systems when people get lazy or impatient.  If you take your time, it is
*very* eascy to insert a system board in an E10K.  However, if you rush,
and use the levers to jam the board in, you will bend pins on the
centerplane.  I even saw someone kick a board once to try and get it to
seat. (Granted, we used to do that with VME, but that was another story.)

-Pete