[geeks] RAID levels

Joshua D Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 18 22:41:21 CST 2001

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 02:54:08PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> So, I've got an A1000 full of 9G drives on the way to attach to
> the SunHELP server (sunfreeware archives, BIG BAD LIST SEARCH ENGINE,
> here we come!).  Suggestions on RAID levels?  I'l be using the latest
> version of SDS (4.2.1?).  Content will be mostly reads (~90%) with
> the only writes being manual updates to web content, MySQL database for
> banner ads, and apache access logs...
>
> so, 0+1 or 5?  Doing mirrored pairs of disks would be a waste of
> space..

Err, isn't mirrored pairs pretty much the same disk usagewise as 0+1?

I don't have specific numbers, but raid 3, 4, or 5 are worst at write time.
For reads (under linux at least), the performance is about the same as it is
for raid 0.  So, it shouldn't kill your CPU.  Writes, of course, suck the big
one, but you probably have more than enough CPU power to spare for now.

--
Joshua D. Boyd