[geeks] I've just seen this

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 14 13:27:56 CST 2001

On Tue, 2001-11-13 at 21:25, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 05:26:31PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Everybody outside of the US has an edge on us.  The biggest coin in
> > common use here is $0.25, although they do have a new (TOTALLY FREAKING
> > STUPID) dollar coin.  It's not really that widely used, because it's
> > almost the same size and weight as a quarter.  Amazing how stupid those
> > people are...
>
> Hey.  It ain't as bad as those Susan B. Anthony dollars at least.

I don't think they're much better.  The Susan B's would have been fine
if they'd made the coin not round, (if you look there are flat "sides"
inside of the round exterior.  Why didn't they just not use that bit of
metal??)

> PS, try using the stamp vending machines at the post office sometime in a
> way that it has to give you at least $1 in change.

The bus ticket machines around here do the same thing.  Not exactly
"wide" circulation though.  I'd like to see a $2 coin to go along with
that one, and I'd REALLY like to see the phones take 50 cent pieces
(since that's how much a local call is around here).  I've been annoyed
with US dollar coins for years, but I didn't find out how truly stupid
the US Mint was until I visited Europe, where they have sane coinage.
	Greg