[geeks] Security People haven't heard of OpenBSD!

Ron Rosson geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 5 08:13:25 CST 2001

* Gregory Leblanc (gleblanc at linuxweasel.com) [011105 05:59]:
> EGADS!  I'm trying to get things going so that my dad's can VPN into his
> office to do some work on the mainframes there.  They require you to
> have things like "firewall software" and such set up if you're on
> broadband, and want to use the internet VPN.  Sounds reasonable enough,
> right?  They wanted to know what firewall software I was running, so I
> told them 'ipf on OpenBSD'.  They'd never heard of it!  What kind of
> security people haven't heard of OpenBSD?!?  What's even more amazing is
> that this shop runs a -highly- mixed environment.  I've been down in
> their server room, and it's got zServers, an E10K, Alpha, PA-RISC, and
> all of the desktops at IT HQ seem to be running Win2k.  Yet they've not
> heard of OpenBSD...
> 	Greg

You are not alone. I deal with the same thing. I give them the argument
of you trust someone with windows more than me with my openbsd bawx.
;-).

Ron Rosson          			      ... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 			      rm -rf *
insane at oneinsane.net     	            and all was /dev/null and *void()