[geeks] Firewalls...

Will Mc Donald geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 03:43:29 CST 2001

Cheers for all the input everyone.

If we did go for a PC/liunx based solution I'd be inclined to go with a
Supermicro motherboard with a ServerWorks chipset. More PCI and memory
bandwidth than a usual PC, they do some nice 500 quid boards with onboard
SCSI 160 and a combo of 32/64bit / 33/66MHz PCI slots. Something like...

http://www.supermicro.co.uk/content/products/motherboards/rcc-hesl/370de6.ht

ISTR reading somewhere (anantech if memory serves) that ServerWorks chipsets
do some sort of cunning interleaving to increase memory bandwidth. I don't
know if they handle interupts any better, but we would obviously build and
test this in a non-live environment so if we do go for it and it doesn't
work out I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for the hardware. :)

As to the number of interfaces needed, we personally don't have a
particulary large network but we do connect lots of other networks together.
It's a weird topology but it's something inherited rather than designed and
there's not much we can do about it.

We shall see where we go, it's not really my final decision, I just have to
live with/support the bugger. :)

Will.