[geeks] Firewalls...

Jeff Workman geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 02:03:49 CST 2001

I am a firewall engineer for a large ISP who's Managed Firewall solution
uses the Nokia machines (primarily the IP330).  They are nice machines,
with   a nice web configuration interface for the things you can't
configure within Checkpoint's GUI.  However, we are having a very high
failure rate with the integrated CSU/DSU (aka "T1 card") that ships with
these machines, and a lot of times when the line protocol on the T1 drops,
the box likes to pretend to be a doorstop, wedging to the point where you
can't even get in it through the console port.

I have problems with Nokia's support staff, as well, but that's left to a
much longer rant.

Jeff

Stoned koala bears drooled eucalyptus spit in awe as Jonathan Katz
exclaimed:

> Ron wrote:
>> For firewall Duties I prefer OpenBSD and IPFilter. Nice an robust and
>> stable.
>
> Indeed... if for some reason you require a commercial firewall solution
> and like Intel, go spec out the Nokia IP-330 (ex-Ipsilon) boxes. They
> run a hardened FreeBSD with Checkpoint FW-1 on-top. Their newer boxes
> are all hot-swap w/ cPCI, IIRC. Other people on the list know more than
> I do on the subject *pokes Chris*
>
> -Jon

"...and the burnt fool's bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the
fire." -Joe Zeff in the SDM.