[geeks] What's your computing present (equipment inventory)

Christopher Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 01:57:17 CST 2001

Okay my last post was asking about everyones computing history. Now what's
your computing present? What do you own or use regularly right now, and what
do you plan to get in the near future?

My current system inventory looks something like this:

UNIX machines

1 Sun Ultra 60 2300, 512mb RAM, 2x9.1 gig, Creator3Ds3
1 Sun Ultra 10 300, 512mb RAM, 36 gig UltraSCSI, SunPCI-II, Elite3Dm3,
internal SCSI zip drive (not installed yet)
1 SGI 02 R10K 195mhz, 256mb RAM, 4.3 gig, digital video module
2 SGI 02 R5K 180mhz, 128mb RAM, 2.1gig, digital video module
2 Power computing clones upgraded to G3x400, 128MB RAM, 2x2.1gig, 2 ati
video (linux PPC)

Windows Machines

1 Athlon 800 (OC'd to 968), 512mb RAM, 2x36 gig ultra scsi HDD,
GeForce2Ultra 64mb, SBLivePlatinum w/LiveDrive-II, Plextor Ultra SCSI 36x
CDROM, plextor ultra scsi 12x4x32 CD-RW, pioneer 16X dvd
1 PIII 700 (OC'd to 931) 512mb ram, 2x80gig, GeForce2MX 32mb (dual head),
SBLive Platinum w/LiveDrive, ricoh 12xCD-RW
1 IBM Thinkpad 600e, 256MB RAM, 6 gig HDD, DVD

Along with that I have

1 Sun 24" wide screen monitor
1 Sun 20" 20e20 monitor
1 Sun 20" 20d10 monitor
2 ViewSonic 19" monitors
2 4 port Belkin OmniSwitch KVM switches
1 4 port KBS USB KVM switch
2 HP ScanJet scanners
1 Epson Stylus color 600 printer
1 HUGE ass (12"x18")Wacom Tablet
1 small (4"x6") Wacom Tablet
1 JBOD storage array currently consisting of six 36 gig drives
2 Netgear 10/100 switches (2x4 port, 1x16 port)
1 Addtron 11mbps wireless ethernet bridge
1 Nokia IP330 Firewall running Checkpoint FW-1 4.1sp2

There are other random generic PC's , and of course tons of components and
equipment that pass through on their way to other people, but that's the
current permanent list.

In the near future I plan on purchasing the following

1 PowerMac G4 733 DP, 512MB RAM, 2x36 Ultra SCSI, Nvidia GeForce 3
(available mid-summer)
1 Dual processor Athlon 1.5 ghz, 1024mb ram, 2x36 ultra SCSI, Nvidia GeForce
3 (available mid-summer)
1 Some type of workgroup class laser printer
1 Some type of photographic printer
2 SunRay 1 appliances
2-6 large flat panel displays

I want the flat panels to replace the current bevy of big ass monitors that
use $200 worth of power a month all by themselves, and double my AC bill in
the summer (another $200 a month). I think actually I'm going to put
everything but the U60 (24" screen) onto a flatpanel. I figure the power
savings over time alone will help knock a deep dent in the cost of
upgrading.

I'm also thinking of buying a rack system for all my computing equipment.
I'll rack anything I can, and then use rack shelves for the rest. I figure
it'll take three standard racks, but anything is better than the mess that I
currently have. All of the equipment I listed above is in one 16x12 room.
There's wiring all over the place, and systems piled everywhere etc...

I also need some type of storage solution for all my components and other
random equipment computer or otherwise (ham radio, R/C modeling, Guns,
Musical equipment etc... I think I'm going to take the built-in clost in the
office (one entire 16' long wall has a 3' deep closet along it) pull off the
sliding doors, and put the racks and equipment shelving in there.

Chris Byrne