[geeks] This bogles my mind

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 28 08:38:21 CDT 2001

I had a similar event in my career - I was working in a low-paying software sales job, looking for a way out, when I came across an ad for a position that looked good - "Big 5 accounting firm" local to me, nice co-workers, decent technology, etc. All the conversations were positive, multiple interviews, then, at the last minute, when I should have gotten an offer, I was told they were going to keep looking...

I would have liked a reason.

Another time I applied for a job close to home, but after sending in my resume which described my pretty appropriate background for the position, I got a personal note from the President of the company - he advised me that I would have a hard time finding a positon with a cover letter with so many typos/bad grammar. I appreciated the reason for not being considered, but it really came across as "Look, I know I am being picky, but...".

My wife works at J&J (well, a division of J&J), and they have a *very* extensive screening program - it took her about 4-6 weeks to be deemed "hire-able" by HR, after the Director choose her from all those he interviewed... THey called every job, every school, a list of references, etc...

Ken
(I had too much fun as a youth to get a job at J&J I suspect... ;^)