[geeks] This bogles my mind

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 18:28:30 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 05:06:37PM -0500, Chad A. Chance wrote:

> ... my drug test ...

Your WHAT?!?!?!  Bloody 'ell, never heard of privacy or civil liberties?
I believe that that would be legal over here, but NO-ONE I have heard of
does them unless they actually suspect an employee of being a crack-head.

> I just got off the phone and they said they are going to continue looking
> for someone else, and that they didn't want me for the position...What's up
> with that?
> This makes no sense, luckily I had another job lined up so it's not that
> much of a loss, but I really wanted the other job.

Same happened to me recently.  Had the interview, had a second interview.
Both went well.  We argued a bit about the package and they made me an
offer (verbally).  Waited for the contract to arrive.  Waited longer.
Started hassling the agent I'd gone through, who hassled them.  Waited
more.  FINALLY got a start date, and was told that the contract would be
waiting in the office for me to go through.  THREE DAYS before I was due
to start, I was told that they were withdrawing the offer.

I already had the interview lined up at the BBC, as well as another offer
from a (shock horror!) profitable dot-com with a reasonably long trading
history, so didn't bother chasing them.  My attitude is that if they
treated me like shit before I started, then I don't want to work for them
anyway.

--
David Cantrell | david at cantrell.org.uk | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie