[geeks] IBM Z series servers

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 15:37:50 CDT 2001

I thought I saw on the web pages that there were MFT (or some other early 80's release of OS) images available for use on Hercules:

http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/hercfaq.html says:

"OS/360 (PCP, MFT and MVT), as far as I know. OS/360 is in the public domain. The status of OSes for which IBM did not charge a license fee is somewhat murky; these include MVS 3.8, VM/370 release 6, and DOS/VS release 34. OS/390 and other ESA versions of OS's are definitely licensed to a particular machine. Therefore, in practice you cannot run any ESA operating system on your PC unless you can obtain a license from IBM allowing you to do so."

MFT, IIRC, is like MVS, but the partitions are fixed in size, unlike MVS which allowed for variable partiton sizes. My mainframe is a bit weak, but I do remember reading an IBM manual about MVS that compared it to all it's earlier incantations - MVS/XA Theory or some such book, about 75 - 100 pages long...

Ken