[geeks] Big Damn File System....

Gregory Leblanc geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 22 10:42:17 CDT 2001

OK, I missed the beginning of this, but...

You really don't want to have more than 1 portion of a single RAID array on
a single disk.  First, this will cause some tremendous thrashing, and
second, it defeats the purpose of having a Redundant Array of Inexpensive
Disks, as it kills your redundancy.
As for performance...  A 2 disk mirror should have equal read performance to
a 3 disk RAID 5 array.  The more disks in the level 5 array, the faster
reads are.  For writes, RAID 1 is slightly slower than a single disk,
depending on how well the RAID code and the hardware controller work
together.  RAID 5 has some inherent latency in the writes, while the stripes
and the parity for those stripes are calculated.
RAID 5 isn't a level that you choose for performance, you choose it if cost
and redundancy are an issue.  For performance, choose a straight stripe set,
and for performance coupled with redundancy, choose RAID 10.  I always have
to think and figure out whether that's a stripe of mirrors, or a mirror of
two stripes...  Later,
	Greg