[geeks] Turing Machine...

Sam Creasey geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 01:15:28 CDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, David Murphy wrote:

> Quoting <5.1.0.14.2.20010620173214.01aa54a0 at revdns.revenuetech.com>
> by Earl Baugh <baugh at revenuetech.com>:
>
> > Hmm, if I were porting Doom to a Turing machine...lets see, the easy
> > solution.  Infinite tape.   No limit on the symbols...Put ALL the
> > POSSIBLE scenes from Doom on the tape...  and then MOVE the TAPE
> > real, real fast (24 images a sec..) stare at one "place" where the
> > tape is moving underneath...and Vola, Doom on a Turing machine......
>
> Speaking of which, is it my imagination, or was Doom: The Movie
> planned at one point?

I've always thought that "Doom: The Movie" was an acceptable summary for
The Event Horizon...  (some bizarre scientific experiment held in space
goes totally wrong, and creates a portal to hell which evil comes out into
our space through...)

Now, granted, I was not really in my right/sober mind when I saw this
movie, I could be missing something. :)

-- Sam

Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as
kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to
repetitive music.
        -- Unknown